Re: Performance implications of Bundling and Minification on HTTP/1.1

Negotiated options can work IFF the options are always available and work
reliably.

Proxies as have been deployed for http have made many things that otherwise
should theoretically work not reliably work. An example is gzip
compression. Another example was the amazing amount of problems when
attempting to use a different compression algorithm (even when both client
and server spoke it).

Proxy writers can (and often do) have different motivations from the client
and content-provider.
When this happens, optional features/negotiated features are harmful to the
clients and content providers since clients and content-providers are
effectively held hostage by the proxy provider who has all the power.

I am unabashedly against hostage taking. :)
-=R