Re: Some thoughts on server push and client pull

Hi

I am Rajeev and I am leading the SPDY investigation @Yahoo (our
investigations have begun fairly recently so I am still catching up and
wrapping my head around all things SPDY). Hey - but I have opinions
already :-).

After my initial analysis of the state of things, I am inclined towards
William's proposal (as in we should look at alternative ways to
"flatten" content of main pages and explore other client driven
approaches and possibly include this as optional extension). For one,
this keep things simpler by following the client-drives-it-all paradigm.

Push introduces a completely new communication paradigm which needs to
be thought about in more detail from various points of view (including
the cost/benefit/complexity trade-offs). Several of the points mentioned
in this thread (and others on spdy-dev@) seem to be important and seem
to be a relative state of immaturity to be ready for an HTTP 2.0 level
proposal (as opposed to many other parts of the SPDY proposal on which
more detailed thinking seems to have been done).

Question : the claims of upto 60% improvement in latency with SPDY (vs
plain HTTP) - did those include server push or not ? My guess is not.

Cheers,
Rajeev