Re: best status code for bad auth method

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011, Adrien de Croy wrote:

> 407 also implicitly says try again, whereas 403 says don't... so I'm leaning
> towards the 403.
>
> I guess the number of web browsers this will affect is about 0... so only
> un-manned applications will see this

Surely 407 is already in wide use for this? I would expect many proxies to
just not care about non-supported auth methods and since it didn't find a
correct auth header, it would respond with a 407.

And in regards to it saying the client should try again, I consider it similar
to sending an auth header with bad credentials compared to no credentials. The
client must know what it did before when it gets a 407 back, and then change
it accordingly before it tries again.

--

  / daniel.haxx.se