Status code for enforcing conditional requests

From: Jan Algermissen <jan.algermissen@nordsc.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 00:36:38 +0200
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Is HTTPbis going to say anything about what response code to use when an unconditional PUT/POST/DELETE request is made but the server requires conditional requests and would like to inform the client about it?

I am asking because it keeps popping up occasionally and I frankly don't know the answer.

Julian suggested 403 some time ago (28-8-2009) but I think the spec is too credentials-focussed in this regard.

Jan