Re: Expect header 'understand' vs 'meet'

On Sep 7, 2011, at 1:24 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> On 2011-09-07 22:18, Jan Algermissen wrote:
>> ..
>>> No, that's unfortunately correct. Maybe we need to mention it.
>>
>> Sorry to keep bugging - do you know the rationale behind this?
>
> That predates my interest in HTTP.
>
> Roy?

"Expect" is not part of my original design.  It is in the archives, somewhere.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg-old/1997MayAug/0263.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg-old/1997MayAug/0296.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg-old/1997MayAug/0316.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg-old/1998MayAug/0165.html

IIRC, we had a discussion in the editorial group wherein I pointed
out that the MUST respond to 417 on extensions was a fatal flaw --
we might as well have made it non-extensible.

....Roy