Re: OWS, line-folding and quoted-string

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 07:49:21 +0200
To: Yutaka OIWA <y.oiwa@aist.go.jp>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 11:45:53AM +0900, Yutaka OIWA wrote:
> The literal reading of "3.2.1 obs-fold rule" says that a line-folding
> "CR LF SP" should be reduced to either "SP SP" or "SP SP SP"
> (because CRLF is reduced to single SP).  Is this correct and intended?
> I guess the intention of the first alternative is "SP" instead of "SP SP".

I think the first case is to cover "LF SP" since implementations should be
tolerant to LF-only line delimiting. Then, the LF is replaced with an SP,
which leads to "SP SP".

> As obs-fold is guaranteed to be followed by WSP, it can be simply removed
> instead of replacing to single SP.

The goal was to be able to replace CRs and LFs with SPs without moving data
nor changing a packet length, so that unfolding is very cheap and leaves no
excuse to implementations for not doing it.

Regards,
Willy