Re: #306: does etag value really use quoted-string

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 10:23:20 +0200
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
On 2011-09-02 02:30, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Looks right to me.
>
> I'm a *little* concerned about how productions like this will be handled:
>
> If-Match: "abc\", "def"
>
> but that's a corner case...

Maybe we need to do this differently. Leave the syntax definition alone, but

- explain that senders should not use escapes, and that they might be
screwed if they need a DQUOTE in an etag (also to avoid OWS)

- explain that recipients should really really treat etags as opaque,
and just keep and return what they got from senders

Best regards, Julian