Re: DELETE and 410 Gone

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 16:44:03 -0400
Cc: httpbis Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>

Le 25 août 2011 à 16:18, Roy T. Fielding a écrit :
> 410 is a deliberate decision by the resource owner that says the
> resource is gone -- not to be found here again, ever.  They have
> to configure it explicitly.

I understand this. :) And the rationales which have been given.

> 404 is a statement that no representation for the resource has
> been found at the time of the request.  Mappings are discontinuous.
> It is the natural state after a DELETE, but certainly isn't required.

Note that I didn't make it required either.

Let's go back to something more practical in which concrete cases right now the DELETE is used on the Web. I had the impression that if someone was sending a DELETE, it meant "resource owner that says the resource is gone".

Any other use cases?

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/