Re: DELETE and 410 Gone

Apologies, slight correction, 404 doesn't specifically imply anything,
however I think the point that 410 is useful to indicate a resource
previously existed:

"The 410 (Gone) status code SHOULD be used if the server knows, through
some internally configurable mechanism, that an old resource is
permanently unavailable and has no forwarding address."

- 10.4.5 in RFC 2616 (
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html )

"The requested resource is no longer available at the server and no
forwarding address is known."

- 104.11 in RFC 2616 (
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html )

So, it's not explicitly stated that a resource MUST have previously
existed for a 410 status to be returned, but I think reasonably implied.