#270: \-escaping in quoted strings

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 18:23:09 +0200
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Hi,

we discussed this issue in yesterday's WG meeting, and the rough
consensus in the room was to align this with RFC 5322; that is, "\x"
means "x" for any value of x.

Note we already said for a long time that producers SHOULD NOT escape
characters that do not need escaping.

The change is in
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/changeset/1361>, and the new
text is (as proposed by Mark in the ticket):

"Recipients that process the value of the quoted-string MUST handle a
quoted-pair as if it were replaced by the octet following the backslash."

Best regards, Julian