Re: line folding - ABNF vs prose

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 04:19:16PM +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2011-07-27 16:07, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> >Replacing with a single SP is harder than replacing with any number of
> >spaces. For instance, haproxy replaces the CRLF with a comma followed
> >by a space so that the line is folded without moving a memory block,
> >and it works quite well.
> >
> >Maybe the intention was to replace with a single SP but the result is
> >still valid with multiple spaces, so maybe we should explicitly allow
> >them ? Anyway good catch on this impact on the ABNF !
>
> That might be ok betweek words (tokens/quoted-strings), but might be a
> problem inside quoted-string...

But I thought we were only allowed to fold lines for headers which are
defined as comma-separated lists, and to add a comma. So by definition
we should not do that on a header that is not a list, and since a header
which is not a list must not appear multiple times, this should not be
a problem.

Am I wrong anywhere ?

Willy