Re: Redirects and headers

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 16:24:24 +0200
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
Cc: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "Mark Baker" <distobj@acm.org>, "HTTP WG" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net>, "Darin Fisher" <darin@chromium.org>
On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 20:30:05 +0200, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
wrote:
> Clients always decide what headers are used in a request.  The headers
> in the original request are only sent in the original request -- there
> is no connection between the two requests other than the original
> Location -> new request target and original request URI -> Referer.
> Clients don't even have to make a subsequent request.

Sure, but the specific case here is APIs that require clients to follow
redirects. Should HTTP make designing those APIs easy by providing default
handling for those APIs or should those APIs define the handling
themselves?

In practice I assume that if HTTP is not going to address this we can add
it to "fetch" algorithm currently defined in HTML. It would just be nice
if the HTTP specification was more explicit on the matter.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/