1xx response semantics

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 09:41:59 +1000
To: httpbis Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
One (of many) of the issues with 1xx responses is that people don't know how to surface two responses to one request in APIs and tools.

I think we could make things a bit easier for folks if we stated that the headers in a 1xx response are semantically not significant; i.e., it's OK for APIs, etc. to drop them on the floor, because the only information is in the status code.

This would mean that people shouldn't put headers on a 1xx response and expect applications to see them -- which I think is already the case today.

Thoughts?

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/