Re: #296: 203 Non-Authoritative Information: deprecate?

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 12:23:18 +0000
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, httpbis Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Roy Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
In message <4DEF6761.1000605@gmx.de>, Julian Reschke writes:
>On 2011-06-08 13:57, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>> 203 should just be dropped.
>
>Well, we just came to the conclusion a few days ago that we can't drop it.

Then keep it, and give it a sensible definition, without inventing
a new class of unnecessary HTTP mangling beasts.

Suggestion:

	203 Non-Authoritative Information

	For reasons not specified, the response is not authoritative,
	but expected to be sufficiently indicative of what the
	authoritative response would have been, that it merits
	attention.  Users should be alerted to this fact if the
	client decides to present the response.  One example use
	could be proxies returning expired copies when the origin
	server is unreachable.