Media Fragments spec and HTTP

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 16:25:01 +1000
Cc: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
It's been pointed out to me that the W3C Media Fragments URI 1.0 specification is in Second Last Call, and contains some new HTTP-related values, including:

* a variety of new range specifiers:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-media-frags-20110317/#processing-protocol-Server-mapped

* new HTTP header "Content-Range-Mapping":
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-media-frags-20110317/#processing-protocol-Server-mapped

* new HTTP headers "Accept-Range-Redirect" and "Range-Redirect":
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-media-frags-20110317/#processing-protocol-server-mapped-proxy

I may have missed others; I've only had a quick look,and it's a big document.

One thing that jumped out at me was examples like this:

  Range: t:npt=10-20;include-setup

... even though "t:npt" is not identified as a range unit (only "t" is).

Is anyone willing to have a look at this from an HTTP perspective? I note Yves is listed as a contributor, but it would be good to have a bit more cross-review.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/