Content-Disposition next steps

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2010 14:39:46 +0100
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Hi there,

the ongoing discussions are very interesting, as they are relevant to
most stuff we do in Part 1 through 7 as well.

My take-away is:

- there's disagreement about whether we should require specific handling
of invalid messages

- if implementers want to do so, they are free to do that in a separate
informational document

But...

- we should keep in mind that every cycle we spend on this discussion
keeps us from doing other stuff, and many over here feel that other
things have a higher priority

- for C-D, the *real* problem isn't lacking interop for invalid
messages, but lack of interop for *valid* messages

So I'd encourage to de-couple this discussion from the actual
Content-Disposition spec, and let those who want work on that as a
separate activity (the question of whether that should become a WG work
item will be interesting).

I'd like to get C-D to IETF LC as soon as possible, thus get everything
*else* we can resolve done in the next days.

The currently open issues are at
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/query?component=content-disp>,
and I believe this list contains open tickets that can be closed as
duplicates (Mark?).

Also, I'm going to say that I consider the work on tests, and
documenting the current UA problems in a single place was a success. We
got minor problems fixed in Opera and Konqueror, Mozilla is likely to
improve soon, and the Chrome nightly builds now have RFC 5987 support.

I believe we should continue this work with other header fields, and a
quite obvious candidate would be "Content-Type", which incidentally has
two related HTML WG issues
(<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/125> and
<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/126>).

Best regards, Julian