Re: [#259] Handling invalid Content-Dispostion headers

From: Eric J. Bowman <eric@bisonsystems.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 16:54:38 -0600
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, httpbis Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Adam Barth <ietf@adambarth.com>
Julian Reschke wrote:

> In addition, micro-managing this may even be harmful if we end up
> defining different strategies for different headers (for instance for
> Content-Type as compared to Content-Disposition). It seems it would
> be a better use of our time to work on test cases, identify common
> syntax patterns, and help UAs to get their code fixed.

+1.  Also, +1 to comments by Mike, Simon, Shelley, Dimitre, Alain and
Gerrit about browser-driven standardization:

http://saxonica.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2010/11/4/4671786.html

That discussion isn't about HTTP, but all the sentiments apply.  Is
there one standardized way to parse what are essentially MIME headers,
or 1+n algorithms because that's how browsers are (unaccountably to
anyone) written?

-Eric