[#259] Handling invalid Content-Dispostion headers

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 13:42:40 +1100
Cc: Adam Barth <ietf@adambarth.com>
To: httpbis Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
In looking at Adam's feedback and the resulting discussion, I'm considering whether we should try to define an OPTIONAL error-handling profile that defines a method of handling invalid Content-Disposition field-values.

E.g., this could be an appendix to the specification that lists a set of behaviours, such as:
  - when there are multiple parameters with the same value, choose the first one
  - when there are characters that aren't allowed in the BNF, transform them to...
  - etc.
that implementers could follow if they wish to. Other specifications could, at their option, require conformance to such a profile.

By necessity, such a thing would not duplicate requirements from the authoritative text, would not override those requirements, and it would not provide alternate algorithms.

To help figure out if this is a productive way to go, I'd like to hear:
 a) thoughts from folks about this approach, and
 b) some indication of who'd be willing to contribute text and/or time for testing, and
 c) expressions of interest from implementers in such an optional profile (i.e., an indication that it's something they'd find useful).

</chair hat>

Regards,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/