Re: Issue 261: Check for requirements backing test cases, was: Comments on draft-ietf-httpbis-content-disp

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 18:25:06 +0100
To: Adam Barth <ietf@adambarth.com>
CC: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, httpbis <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 02.11.2010 18:15, Adam Barth wrote:
>> Maybe those sites just gave up on IE and Chrome, and have been sending
>> filename* to everybody else for a long time?
>>
>> It would *really* be useful to get beyond the hearsay and actually get data.
>
> I don't have that data off hand.  We can gather it.  It just takes
> time and effort.

Understood. But I think you really need to support that claim with data.

If the data is obtained by through Chrome users we will also have get
access to the actual site names that do this, checking whether they
already have separate code paths for different browsers.

Also, related to issue 263, it would be great if you could find out
whether Chrome always use UTF-8 when percent-unescaping, or tried to
follow IE.

I know that Asian IE installations *did* not use UTF-8 unless the
browser was configured for use of UTF-8 when *generating* URIs. It would
be great if we could confirm what the exact condition is though.

Best regards, Julian