Re: [#95] Multiple Content-Lengths

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 14:56:53 +0200
To: Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>
CC: "William Chan (ι™ˆζ™Ίζ˜Œ)" <willchan@chromium.org>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 08.10.2010 22:41, Adam Barth wrote:
> Great.  At that frequency of occurrence, we should just fail the
> request with a fatal error and close the socket.  I don't see any
> reason to partially render the page.

The current text
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-11.html#rfc.section.3.3.p.8>)
says:

"...If this is a response message received by a user-agent, the
message-body length is determined by reading the connection until it is
closed; an error SHOULD be indicated to the user."

Given the experiment with Chrome, we need to allow that behavior as
well, but are we ready to require it?

So, how about (for now):

"...If this is a response message received by a user-agent, it either
SHOULD be treated as error, or otherwise the message-body length SHOULD
be determined by reading the connection until it is closed; an error
SHOULD be indicated to the user."

?

Best regards, Julian