Re: [#232] User-Agent Guidelines (proposal)

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 11:14:48 +0200, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
> [...]
>
> Because this field is usually sent on every request a user-agent makes,
> implementations are encouraged not to include needlessly fine-grained
> detail, and to limit (or even prohibit) the addition of subproducts by
> third parties. Overly long and detailed User-Agent field values make
> requests larger and can also be used to identify ("fingerprint") the
> user against their wishes.

Having this is great I think. I think we should also give advice to people
using the header (i.e. against user-agent sniffing), similar to what HTML5
does for navigator.userAgent:

http://whatwg.org/C#client-identification

(HTML5 should probably also mention the fingerprinting issue.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/