Re: HTTPbis -10 drafts published : Connection header

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 06:31:26 +0200
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
Cc: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 07:53:37PM -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2010, at 6:50 PM, Adrien de Croy wrote:
> > All entity headers are end to end are they not?
>
> Anything in the spec that says something is end-to-end or
> hop-by-hop will be rewritten soon.  Fields are hop-by-hop
> when they are listed in Connection (or are Connection).
> All others are end-to-end.

So probably the spec should enumerate the well-known headers
that cannot be hop-by-hop and that must not be listed in
Connection. At the moment the spec only says "All other
headers defined by HTTP/1.1 are end-to-end headers", which
is not much practical for implementers, considering the size
of the spec and the high risk of missing a few ones.

And that leaves the question open about what to do if those
headers are found. The worst cases I thought about (Host,
Content-Length) don't work with Apache at least, but they
may cause real trouble on proxies which blindly apply the
spec.

Willy