Re: I-D Action:draft-loreto-http-timeout-00.txt

On 7/9/10 10:43 AM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> On 09/07/2010, at 3:50 PM, Thomson, Martin wrote:
>

>> Right - for the cases you have in mind, the single bit might be wasted bytes too.
>>
> Not really. Patching Squid (etc.) to change policy based upon the presence of a header isn't a big deal, and when it's deployed as an accelerator, the single bit could be quite valuable.

if I understood correctly Mark, you are to suggesting that just having
an header would be enough and much easier to implement for the
intermediaries, isn't it?
if so I don't see much difference in defining an header containing a
value and let the intermediate decide if consider or not the value and
then use it as a single bit!

/Sal

>> However, in the context of XmlHTTPRequest, might we not consider the browser to be an intermediary?  Would the same constraints apply there?
>>
> Are you suggesting that the browser rewrite headers before handing them to the HTTP API? That's likely to cause a fair amount of confusion... Why not just expose the connection timeout of the browser as an API extension?
>

> --

Salvatore Loreto
www.sloreto.com