Re: rev parameter - LC comment on draft-nottingham-http-link-header-07.txt

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 17:14:11 +1100
Cc: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Apps Discuss <discuss@apps.ietf.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

> HTML5 doesn't have rev anymore anyway (well, unless the WG changes this again)
> So why don't we just say that "rev" means what HTML2 used to say, and be done with it?

Because (IMO) implementation experience has shown that rev= is horribly confusing* to developers, and will cause more problems than it solves; it's much better to just register a different relation (even if that does offend those who like tidiness).

I'd be OK with putting it in the BNF, giving the HTML2 explanation, and deprecating it in prose, though.

* For those who dispute this, have a look at blog and other discussions of rev=canonical; it tripped up a lot of people.