Re: update: http progress notification

On 27/05/2010 6:00 a.m., Henrik Nordström wrote:
> mån 2010-05-24 klockan 13:13 +1200 skrev Adrien de Croy:
>

>> Tests with unmodified Firefox and IE showed no problem with multiple 102
>> an issue since the draft proposes the client explicitly advertises support).
>>
> Hmm.. is that explicit negotiation really needed?

the hop-by-hop negotiation was the justification for

a) dropping a requirement to suppress these 1xx responses for HTTP/1.0
clients
b) not worrying about semantics of entity headers transported back in a
1xx response.

If we drop the requirement to advertise support from the client, we
would need to re-think these.

An alternative could be a Progress header in the request, which then
would normally be forwarded by proxies.  Then this progress mechanism
could work through an HTTP/1.1 proxy that didn't know about it as long
as it forwards 1xx responses.

Regards
Adrien