Re: Age response header and HTTP/1.0 requests

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 11:43:37 +1000
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>, Eric Lawrence <ericlaw@exchange.microsoft.com>
HTTP/1.1 caching headers are perfectly valid in HTTP/1.0 responses; e.g., if a 1.0 cache is in front of a 1.1 server, it can't know which headers to strip, and a client has to be able to handle the response (indeed, it will still be interested in these headers, and the 1.1 caching model is designed with this scenerio in mind).

I'm having a bit of trouble reproducing this, however; if I browse with IE8 (cache cleared) behind a HTTP/1.0 proxy (Squid), a 200 response with a non-zero Age header is displayed correctly -- even if it spans multiple packets.

Cheers,