Re: Last Call: draft-bryan-http-digest-algorithm-values-update (Additional Hash Algorithms for HTTP Instance Digests) to Informational RFC

From: Anthony Bryan <anthonybryan@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 17:17:34 -0500
To: Scott Lawrence <scott.lawrence@nortel.com>
Cc: Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, "HTTP Working Group (ietf-http-wg@w3.org)" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Scott Lawrence
<scott.lawrence@nortel.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 22:11 -0500, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>> Changing the digest algorithm in DIGEST is pointless.
>
> Careful... from the Introduction to the draft:
>
>        Note: This is unrelated to HTTP Digest Authentication.

I have updated the abstract and introduction to (hopefully) be more clear.

Abstract

The IANA registry named "Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Digest
Algorithm Values" defines values for digest algorithms used by
Instance Digests in HTTP. Instance Digests in HTTP provide a digest,
also known as a checksum or hash, of an entire representation of the
current state of a resource. This draft adds new values to the
registry and updates previous values.

Introduction

The IANA registry named "Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Digest
Algorithm Values" defines values for digest algorithms used by
Instance Digests in HTTP.

Note: This is unrelated to HTTP Digest Authentication. Instance

--
(( Anthony Bryan ... Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]
  )) Easier, More Reliable, Self Healing Downloads