Interpretation of response body in case of PUT and 200 Ok

From: Jan Algermissen <algermissen1971@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 15:37:35 +0100
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Hi,

section 8.2.1 of RFC 2616 provides information how recipients
of 200 Ok responses should interprete the response body (this
is at least my understanding of the text of 8.2.1).

What is the intended interpretation of the response body in
PUT requests? Should the client understand the body to be
a representation of the request URI of the PUT request? Or
more like "an entity describing or containing the result of
the action" like in the case of POST?

I looked at draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-08 and the issues list
and both do not seem to address this either.

If you feel it is appropriate, I think 8.2.1 should be augmented
with an explanatory paragraph for PUT.

Jan