Re: FYI: Mozilla's Resource Packages

From: Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 17:23:52 +0000
To: Anthony Bryan <anthonybryan@gmail.com>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Jamie Lokier wrote:
>       Resource Packages may, to some extent, thwart some of these
>       strategies.
>
>       Then again, if Resource Packages become widely used, it's
>       possible that protocol, server and proxy design will evolve to
>       include generating them on demand and dynamically modifying them
>       to optimise transfers.
>
>       To allow this, IMHO it's important that Resource Packages are
>       identified as such, so that proxies and caches will be able to
>       safely inspect and modify them in future if the need arises.

Unfortunately I see the proposal does not identify Resource Packages
to the transport: They are simply application/zip resources, so it
would be wrong for servers and (especially) proxies to automatically
inspect and modify those.  (Of course they will anyway, if there is a
compelling advantage).

The main benefit I see to using the existing application/zip MIME type
is that you can begin using Resource Packages without any cooperation
from your service provider - just put up a .zip file.

-- Jamie