wrt HTTP Origin header serialization (was Re: The HTTP Sec-From Header (draft-abarth-origin))

From: =JeffH <Jeff.Hodges@KingsMountain.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 16:31:50 -0700
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
serialization rules in draft-abarth-origin wrt a "scheme/host/port tuple" yield
a tuple looking like..

   scheme://host:port

Earlier in this thread someone asked about what would happen if one
dereferenced such a string, and the answer was (I am paraphrasing here) "don't
do that, it isn't a URI".

However, syntactically, it *is* a URI.

I suggest that a serialized origin ought to have a syntax that is not
syntactically a URI, e.g. pick some separator char that allows for reasonable
parsing (i.e. won't be confused with whatever might appear in a <host>
production (which can contain IPv4 and IPv6 address serializations)), such as
perhaps...

   scheme/host/port, or
   scheme#host#port, or
   scheme?host?port, or
   scheme@host@port

..i.e. the <gen-delim> values from RFC3986 that aren't included in the
IP-literal, IPvFuture, IPv6address, reg-name, etc productions (that <host>
depends upon).

=JeffH