Re: [OT] Re: #131: Connection limits (proposal)

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Mark Nottingham wrote:
>
>> <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/131>
>>
>> """
>> Clients (including proxies) SHOULD limit the number of simultaneous
>> connections that they maintain to a given server (including proxies).
>>
>> Previous revisions of HTTP gave a specific number of connections as a
>> ceiling, but this was found to be impractical for many applications. As
>> a result, this specification does not mandate a particular maximum
>> number of connections, but instead encourages clients to be conservative
>> when opening multiple connections.
>> """
>>

> It really seems like this is ripe for a Connection: max=# tag recommendation.
> Wherein the application can recommend a number of parallel connections that
> 1) they support and 2) provide optimal user/application experience.  But this
> would be out of scope of 2616bis :)

I think that could create problems, especially with intermediaries.
E.g. intermediaries and servers may have different limits.  Would you
treat the max= as an indication of desired number of connections, or
undesired number of connections etc.

I think until we can signal a client that service is being refused
because of number of connections, we are going to have trouble dealing
with this problem.

Regards

Adrien