Re: weak etags vs PATCH, was: Fwd: New Version Notification - draft-dusseault-http-patch-15.txt

Lisa Dusseault wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 4:33 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Recommending the use of timestamps instead a potentially available weak etag
>> simple does not make sense. After all, the server is minting the etags, and
>> it also controls what it accepts in conditional PATCH requests. Let it
>> decide what's right.
>>

> It looks to me like RFC2616 forbids this even if the server could
> figure out what's right.
>
> Section 14.26 says "The weak comparison function can only be used with
> GET or HEAD requests."  So in a PATCH, we'd have to use strong
> comparison.

We fixed this in HTTPbis (see
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/116>), and
furthermore, WebDAV's "If" header never had that limitation.

So my proposal would be to stay silent on this, and let the base spec
define it.

BR, Julian