Re: ambiguous ABNF in RFC 2231 (and friends)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 10:20:34 +0200
To: "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Hi Martin,

thanks for the confirmation.

Martin J. Dürst wrote:
> As the secondary charset expert reviewer, I have never seen a charset
> with a "'" in it. There is note at
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets, and they are not allowed
> in the "more restrictive" production in Section 2.3 of RFC 2978. They
> are also not allowed in XML, which is even more restrictive. I guess
> that as a reviewer, I'd simply tell an applicant to change the name.

As a matter of fact, I'm not sure why I made it "token" in the first place.

> As the co-chair of the LTRU WG, I know quite for sure that language tags
> don't contain "'". Please check yourself at
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5646 or one of it's predecessors.

Right, and the ABNF was already referring there; so again no problem.

Checking: is there a simpler ABNF somewhere to extract "potential"
language tags from other text content? It appears that they are
restricted to:

   *( ALPHA / DIGIT / "-" )

right?

> So I see absolutely no problem to tightening up the grammar.

Best regards, Julian