Re: Input on request for link relation

From: Hadrien Gardeur <hadrien.gardeur@feedbooks.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 13:43:00 +0000
To: Sam Johnston <samj@samj.net>
Cc: Jan Algermissen <algermissen1971@mac.com>, jpanzer@acm.org, Lisa Dusseault <lisa.dusseault@gmail.com>, Atom-Syntax Syntax <atom-syntax@imc.org>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, apps-discuss@ietf.org

> Yes, though I believe Mark's "Web Linking<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nottingham-http-link-header>"
> draft does this already.

It does (Section 6.2).

> I started thinking about this earlier in the week with a view to having
> e.g. a representation of a bookshelf referring to a
> collection/feed/url-list/etc. of books using rel="collection". I then
> started looking at parent/child/sibling relationships which are currently
> being discussed in a separate thread (my preference is for something like
> e.g. "rel=descendant level=2" for grandchildren as I subsequently realised
> that suggested abbreviations "asc" for ascendant and "desc" for descendant
> can be confused with item ordering). Do you think these "family" relations
> serve all the use cases for a "collection" relation?

In AtomPub, a collection is defined as:

> A Resource that contains a set of Member Resources. Collections are
> represented as Atom Feeds.

Collections are used to indicate where you can POST a new entry in a Service
document, and what you can post is defined in app:accept:

> The content of an "app:accept" element value is a media range as defined in
> [RFC2616]. The media range specifies a type of representation that can be
> POSTed to a Collection.

In the current Web Linking draft, the edit relation is redefined (Refers to
a resource that can be used to edit the link's context.) but we still lack a
relation type for links where we can POST things (and we shouldn't use
"collection" for this purpose).
Since we can't use more than a single relation type for a link, it might be
complex to define something that is both a "collection" and a resource where
you can "post".