Re: Last Call: draft-nottingham-http-link-header (Web Linking) to Proposed Standard

From: Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 18:42:46 +0100
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>, Sam Johnston <samj@samj.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 06:48:00PM +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:
> But that's the link *tag*, not the link header. I just tried, and
> Firefox 3.5 does not appear to check the link header for that.

Ah, okay.

I got very excited for a second here because I thought you were saying that
Firefox understands the Link header with rel="stylesheet", but I just tested it
on one of my pages and it doesn't seem to work:

  http://tumbolia.org/quote/zen

I am sending this:

  Link: </style>;rel=stylsheet

Should this work? Am I doing something wrong?

>> The hierarchical position of each link can be found by parsing the URI.
>
> Well, that won't always be the case. In the case where the URL hierarchy
> happens to be the actual hierarchy, you really don't need the link
> relation (as demonstrated by the Firefox addon).

It is not as simple as that:

  <link rel="up alternative" type="application/atom+xml" href="/index.atom">

  <link rel="up" hreflang="en" href="/dir-a/index.en">

  <link rel="up" hreflang="de" href="/dir-a/index.de">

In the above cases:

  * You could not infer the "up" relationship from the URI because they have
    character data after the final "/" character, making it otherwise ambiguous
    whether they can be considered direct "parents" of the current resource.

  * You can, however, infer the hierarchical position from the URI after being
    told that they are parents in a document hierarchy.

The only possible time I can think of needing "up up" would be when each parent
link was outside of the URI hierarchy of all the other links. This seems like it
would be such an uncommon thing. Is it worth specifying for?

Best,