link header rev parameters, was: Last Call: draft-nottingham-http-link-header (Web Linking) to Proposed Standard

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:58:34 +0200
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
CC: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> The Link: header has a "rev" attribute. I would recommend dropping it for
>> consistency with HTML5; we discovered in examining typical usage that
>> people generally didn't understand how to use rev="", and it is redundant
>> with rel="" anyway. If it is kept, then please define how it works.
>> Allowing something but leaving it undefined is the worst of both worlds.
>> (The ideal would be to define how it works but not allow it, IMHO.)
>
> It was included because it's in the syntax of RFC2068, but I agree that
> it's not desirable to perpetuate it. How do people feel about further
> removing it (i.e., it will be an extension, not called out explicitly in
> the syntax)?

I think that not mentioning it will cause both confusion ("where did it
go and why?") and extra work (it being re-defined for certain relations).

Thus it seems to me that the spec should document it in any case. If
there's a consensus that it's a bad thing to use, we should add that to
the documentation, essentially deprecating it.

BR, Julian