Re: anchor parameter, was: Last Call: draft-nottingham-http-link-header (Web Linking) to Proposed Standard

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:31:37 +0200
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
CC: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Mark Nottingham wrote:
> It seems to me that we could go in a few directions regarding anchor;
>
> 1) get rid of it completely; any app that wants to use it can define it
> as an extension (as they would for HTML and Atom, which don't have
> dynamic scopes).
>
> 2) restrict it to ONLY fragment identifiers, and make them advisory
> (i.e., a UA can choose to ignore them when displaying a link).
>
> 3) specify that it only has meaning when a particular application /
> relation invokes its use (none to date).
>
> So far I'm hearing that #1 or #2 is probably the right approach. I don't
> see how we can mandate it.
>
> Thoughts?

WRT 1) that seems like a bad idea. anchor="" allows making statements
about sub resources, and there should be exactly one way to do that (so
it can be dealt with in a generic parser).

Furthermore, what do you mean by "dynamic scope"?

Option 2) sounds ok, but I'm not sure why it would only be advisory?

BR, Julian