Re: HTTP Extensions for Simultaneous Download from Multiple Mirrors

fre 2009-07-31 klockan 17:34 +1200 skrev Adrien de Croy:

> Also RFC2616 mentions recommended behaviour of proxies that retrieve
> the whole entity, that they should send a 206 back to the client with
> just the part requested.

Right, that one. We should open an issue on that as it's not really
practical to implement for reasons somewhat unrelated to this.

> In which case... maybe an extra header to make it explicit that this
> is what's going on so a proxy can act accordingly - with some sort of
> universally unique key for the file (e.g. some meta URI that's not the
> actual URI requested but which identifies the entity).  So that the
> proxy can know it's the same file being requested from multiple
> different locations, and just return the pieces from the cached
> version retrieved from the first request.

All of which the proposal do include..

but the scheme you mention is a bit risky from a cache pollution aspect,
without first verifying this with the second resource location.

Regards
Henrik