Re: HTTP Extensions for Simultaneous Download from Multiple Mirrors

From: Daniel Stenberg <dast@haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:26:44 +0200 (CEST)
To: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>
cc: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009, Adrien de Croy wrote:

> Also RFC2616 mentions recommended behaviour of proxies that retrieve the
> whole entity, that they should send a 206 back to the client with just the
> part requested.

While I can see the merit in doing this for AV reasons, it makes very very
little sense for a the case when mt DVD download failed because the last 200
bytes were ruined (I mean at storage level on the server) and all you want is
to download those 200 bytes from a second mirror.

But as Henrik said, lots of "download accelerators" already work exactly like
this and clearly it works fine enough for a certain amount of people.

--

  / daniel.haxx.se