Re: [draft-nottingham-http-link-header-06] extension tokens

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 20:56:19 +0200
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "HTTP Working Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

> The draft does not require people to use URIs at all. There's a registry
> for tokens, just like in the HTML5 proposal. The only difference is that
> the registry lives somewhere else, and the registry procedure has
> different requirements.

The requirements will just lead to people using URIs I think (or rather, completely ignoring the registry as there was no registry practice so far) just like people use x-something all the time rather than vnd.something or register something more appropriate.

Barriers to registries need to be pretty low I think. E.g. due to high registry requirements for media types font files will be sniffed until eternity. JavaScript/ECMAScript has about six media types and were only registered due to a dedicated individual, not because the ECMAScript standardization comittee particuarly cared one way or another.

Same for URI schemes. You're better of on Wikipedia than at IANA. :/

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/