Issue 160 (Redirects and non-GET methods), was: Proposed fix for issued 140: 301

Manger, James H wrote:
> Browsers (eg Firefox 3.5 & IE8) seem to change the method (eg POST to GET) on 301 "Moved Permanently" redirects as well as on 302 "Found" redirects even with HTTP/1.1 requests & responses, contradicting the spec.
>
> The spec sections on 301 & 302 each have a note about the mismatches -- but the notes are different. The 302 note says "most existing user agents" change the method, while the 301 note says "some existing HTTP/1.0 user agents" change the method. The 301 note does not seem to reflect reality.

We are already tracking this in
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/160>.

> I am NOT suggesting a new status code (308 "Permanently Redirect") for unambiguous semantics -- using 307 "Temporary Redirect" with Cache-Control should be close enough.

It seems to be different to me. To give it the desired semantics we
probably would have to change the spec, in which case a new status code
seems more plausible to me.

> Perhaps the new text for the 302 note should also be used for the 301 note [issue #140 http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/140].

We can't use the same text, as there is no replacement status for 301.
That being said, we should make sure that the Note reflect reality.

BR, Julian