URI handling for Location

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:25:59 +0200
To: "HTTP Working Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Hi,

The definition of the Location header differs in various ways of how at
least Web browsers need to deal with them to interoperate with content on
the Web:

  1. Need to handle relative URIs.
  2. Need to handle with spaces and other invalid URI characters in the
same way as done by e.g. HTML and CSS. (Percent-encode them rather than
treat it as error.)

I suspect that any other tool that wants to deal with content on the Web
would have similar issues. There's some discussion here including two
sites this effects:

   http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20090323#l-152

(I suspect that every feature that takes a URI is similarly affected, but
I have not toyed with those.)

(There was also a related issue for Location regarding how to handle it
when there's more than one such header, but I believe that was raised
already.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/