Re: Extension headers and caching

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 12:29:11 +1100
Cc: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

> That being said, IE has lots of issues with Vary, so I wouldn't be
> surprised if servers worked around that by not specifying Vary.

... and instead making the response otherwise uncacheable (e.g., with
Cache-Control: private).

That said, my experience is that this is much less common than it used
to be; people are using Vary more and CC: private (for this purpose
less).

In any case, the answer to Anne's question is "yes, you should expect
to get it out of cache, unless the appropriate Vary headers are set,
or it is otherwise uncacheable." Of course, you can't ever *count* on
it being in cache in the first place...

Cheers,