Referer URI MUST NOT include a fragment

From: Vincent Murphy <vdm@vdm.ie>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 16:40:44 +0000
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
During a discussion [0] about why Youtube uses ?feature=related in its
URIs, I observed that the Referer header URI, if it included a
fragment identifier, could be used identify the anchor used to
initiate a GET. This would be useful for

- analysing anchor popularity,
- eliminating the need for workarounds and hacks like Youtube ?
- encourage cleaner, canonical URIs.

I did a search of discussions around the HTTP protocol, but was not
able to find the origin of the statement from RFC2616 Section 14.32
[1], paraphrased in the subject of this message. This statement is
also in draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-05, section 10.6 [2].

I seek links to the discussion or rationale and origin of this
statement, or failing that, comments about how allowing fragment
identifiers in Referer URIs would enhance or violate web architecture.

-Vincent Murphy

0. http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/7x49v/canonical_url_tag_the_most_important_advancement/c07ne0v
1. http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.36
2. http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-05.txt