Content-Location, was: PATCH draft

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 10:24:58 +0100
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
CC: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name>, Lisa Dusseault <lisad@messagingarchitects.com>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> I think my earlier comments still hold: 209 is not needed anywhere
> because that functionality is already covered by Content-Location.
>
> ....Roy

1) If we can simplfy the PATCH spec further, then yes, we should do that.

2) I was just looking at the description of Content-Location:

"The Content-Location entity-header field MAY be used to supply the
resource location for the entity enclosed in the message when that
entity is accessible from a location separate from the requested
resource's URI..." --
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#rfc.section.14.14>)

 From that description, it's not entirely clear that it applies to this
sue case, as the location returned in Content-Location would *not* be
separate from the resource's URI. I guess we'll have to tune the
language here somewhat.

BR, Julian