Re: Review of Content-Encoding: value token

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 18:48:49 +1100
Cc: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Carine Bournez <carine@w3.org>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

My concern is that many implementations treat content-coding like
transfer-codings, in some ways; that is, they layer it in
automatically (e.g., mod_gzip). The confluence of this with things
like byteranges, etag comparison, etc. may be quite prone to bugs.

You'd also start to get into discussions like "can't JPEG just be a
content-coding of GIF?" and so forth. The media type system isn't
perfect by any means, but I think it's a better fit for this type of
thing.

Cheers,