Re: Review of Content-Encoding: value token

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 07:07:21 +0100
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
CC: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Carine Bournez <carine@w3.org>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Mark Nottingham wrote:

> Yes. If it doesn't preserve characters, all sorts of mess can result,
> e.g., with ETag comparison, range retrieval, etc.

I was looking at
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#rfc.section.3.5>...:

"Content coding values indicate an encoding transformation that has been
or can be applied to an entity. Content codings are primarily used to
allow a document to be compressed or otherwise usefully transformed
without losing the identity of its underlying media type and without
loss of information."

...and was asking myself: is perfect reconstruction of the original
payload really required? Is there something we need to fix here?

BR, Julian