Re: GET/HEAD support "MUST"

Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Both RFC2616 and bis both include the following:
>> The methods GET and HEAD MUST be supported by all general-purpose
>> servers.
>
> This is unclear for several reasons:
>
> a) Although the server MUST support those two methods, MUST it support
> it for every resource?

Dunno.

> b) What is a "general-purpose server"? This is the only time this phrase
> occurs within RFC2616, with nothing to say what it refers to.

Dunno.

> I mention a) because a large number of web forms create a special
> resource to send submissions of the form to. Inevitably, if that form is
> to be sent via POST, a GET request of that resource makes little sense.

I guess the intent of this language is to ensure that any server that
implements HTTP must be prepared for GET/HEAD requests on any URI.

That being said, it's probably sufficient that a special resource as
described above just returns 401 or 501 -- so doing a retrieval never
ever would cause a side-effect.

Mark, should we add that as editorial issue to the list?

BR, Julian