Re: A question about Content-Length header

there is no other way to signal the end of the message that the client
is sending.

A server has the option to close the connection to signal end of message
if no Content-Length or chunking is not used. A client for obvious
reasons does not have this option.

So in short, I would say the answer is yes, if the client message has an
entity body, and it will not send a Content-Length for whatever reason,
it must use chunking.

Adrien