CONNECT command with message body

From: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 19:21:53 +1200
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Hi all

I've come across a problem with an HTTP client which sends message
bodies and Content-Length when using the CONNECT method.

Is it even legal for a CONNECT command to have a body?  If it does, what
should the proxy do?  The client (a panasonic blue-ray player) breaks if
the body is forwarded, however RFC2817 Sec 5.2 last para implies it is
legal to have a body here.

Does anyone know of any other client that sends a body on CONNECT and
relies on it?  It seems very odd to have a body there, since you don't
even have a connection necessarily to the end server yet.  I'm loath to
break the proxy to support a broken client.

Regards

Adrien